World Cup Facts
We have several “football” (soccer) fans in our office, who have caught World Cup Fever! For those that might not be as well-versed as some, here are some interesting facts about the 2018 FIFA World Cup Tournament in Russia:
- The World Cup is the “world’s most widely viewed sporting event” with almost 50% of the world’s population tuning in to watch. In 2014 that was 3.2 Billion people!
- It takes place every 4 years; the first was in 1930 where Uruguay was the host and winner.
- Brazil has the most wins with 5; Italy and Germany both have 4 wins. Italy failed to qualify this year.
- 2018 is the first time that Russia has hosted. In 11 appearances, their top finish was 4th in 1966.
- 1966 was the same year that the trophy was stolen 7 days before the games began.
- The US did not qualify this year for the first time since 1986 and will host the 2026 tournament with Canada and Mexico.
- The winning country is rumored to see a baby boom 9 months after the World Cup. Hyundai made a commercial based on this fact.
Right now it looks like the host country is taking advantage of their fans encouragement – can they keep it up?
This year, the Portland Timbers have two players that have been selected to play for their home country. David Guzeman for Costa Rica and Andy Polo for Peru – good luck to both of them as they play on the world stage!